[labnetwork] Erbium sputtering

Jacob Trevino Jacob.Trevino at asrc.cuny.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:09:33 EDT 2017

Hi Chito,

Back when I was at Boston University, we used to co-sputter erbium and silicon in the presence of nitrogen to make an erbium doped SiNx film for photonic applications. It was on old Denton system with no load lock. Erbium will oxidize as you mentioned, so when opening the chamber to pull out the target, we quickly would get it into a nitrogen box. No matter what, there is always some small amount of oxidation. We would just perform a pre-sputter prior to deposition to clean off the oxidized portion prior to the deposition or some of the group members claimed a scrubbing with a Brillo pad would work even better. I’ve heard of some people storing oxidizing targets in vacuum sealed bags between runs or also in oils of some sort, but I personally have never done that. I’m sure others have better tricks of the trade.

Best,
Jacob

--
Jacob Trevino, PhD
NanoFabrication Facility Director |Research Associate Professor
212-413-3310 | jacob.trevino at asrc.cuny.edu
http://www.trevinolab.com/| http://nanofab.asrc.cuny.edu/
NanoFab Blogsite: https://www.nanonotes.org/
Twitter: @JTrevinoNano | @ASRCNanoFab