[labnetwork] Sputter V, VO2

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Sun May 14 19:47:01 EDT 2017

Dear network,

We have an AJA sputter system with over 50 different targets. It is a multi-users facility and we do change targets 2-3 times per week. To minimise possible cross-contamination every target has its own mounting accessories (housing, chimney, etc).

My question relate to possible toxic by-products and we like to share this topic within this network looking to hear your experience with same targets or targets that may produce toxic/dust by-products.

So recently we purchased Vanadium and Vanadium oxide VO2 targets. Our user intends to use reactive sputtering to produce different stoichiometry of the alloys. We found that some forms of vanadium oxide are toxic like V2O4 and V2O5 (highly toxic and poisonous, especially the dust and fumes).
So we like to share the following questions/remarks and we appreciate your comments:
1-     Does someone use targets that may produce such toxic by-products, and how you handle this in a multi-user facility?
2-     Outside an adequate mask + filters do you take any other precautions when opening chamber to change targets?
3-     After the use of such targets with the potential risk of toxic particles would a sputtering a thin layer of an Al or Cr layer would cover the toxic particles and form a possible alternative to this issue?

Thank you,
Fouad Karouta

*************************************
Manager ANFF ACT Node
Australian National Fabrication Facility
Research School of Physics and Engineering
L. Huxley Building (#56), Mills Road, Room 4.02
Australian National University
ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174
Mob: + 61 451 046 412