[labnetwork] Cleanroom garments - Costs escalating

Mark Crain mcrain3 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:41:35 EDT 2017

Hi Vince,

Cleanroom suit maintenance can be expensive but we made a compromise that I
think worked well by buying our suits and setting up our own laundry
system.  We collected water from our DI water system in a poly drum ( to
keep it isolated from our DI water system) and ran a pneumatically driven
pump to pump the water to a high end home SS clothes washer. We started
with special cleanroom gown detergent but you may find alternatives.
Boots are washed separately from gowns and hoods.  We went through detail
trials with a particle counter to see if we could keep the particle count
as low as a new suit and it worked well. We continued to use the particle
counter from time to time (over years) to see if our cleaning was still
effective.  Cleanroom maintenance for laundry and general cleaning was
typically done by undergraduate work studies and was a great way to
introduce them to the cleanroom world.  If they were good at cleaning
spinner bowls, they learned to fab!

We never did any analysis on bacteria or ion contamination but it would be
something that I would consider if I did it again.

Best Regards

Mark
Mark Crain