[labnetwork] Cleanroom garments - Costs escalating

Tony L Olsen tony.olsen at utah.edu
Mon May 15 17:01:09 EDT 2017

Vince, et al.

This was a question we pondered for a while as we moved into our new facility a few years ago.  We had previously inherited some polyester cleanroom garments from a local semiconductor facility and were using them in the old lab - primarily to let the lab members get used to the idea.  Since it was not much of a cleanroom, we just had them laundered locally.

As we moved to the new facility, we considered what our current and future customers would expect for a Class 100 cleanroom.  Although disposables were intriguing, we opted for a rental/laundry agreement.  One of our challenges with disposables was lack of storage space and risk of supply shortages.  I'm also not very comfortable with the lack of traction for the boots.  Anyway, we went with a rental/laundry agreement.  We launder every 2 weeks, which lowered the cost considerably.  (Most users don't spend enough time in the lab to warrant a weekly clean.  Those who do can replace their garments, as needed.)

With that said, we are ready to change vendors and I fear I may have a situation similar to what Berkeley explained.  My vendor has not been very responsive or customer oriented.  As we move to a different approach, I may reconsider disposables.  I have also stumbled across an option where I can finance the purchase of the garments and set up a separate agreement with a laundry service.  That should give me complete control over replacements and repairs.  At that point I can purchase replacements as needed, without the need for additional financing.

BTW, I do keep some disposables on hand for construction-type work - anything that may damage the rented garments.

tonyO

Tony Olsen
Nanofab Cleanroom Supervisor/Process Engineer
University of Utah
36 S Wasatch Dr, Suite 2500
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112
801-587-0651 office