[labnetwork] 回覆: Leybold turbo pump controller

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Fri Aug 17 11:58:03 EDT 2018

Shane,

My guess is they couldn't strike a contract with Leybold to get a good deal
on the pumps. Because I also know vendors that exclusively use Leybold
pumps. In my personal experience, I can't say I've had significantly more
or significantly fewer "bad" experiences with any particular pump vendor
(although the same can not be said for refurbishment companies).

Generally, I take the vendor recommendation for high vacuum pumps (turbos,
cryos, etc), but request a specific backing/roughing pump, since we have
standardized those at the LNF. The vendor should be able to provide the
pumping capacity requirement and you can choose based on that (we have
standardized to 2 pumps, one big, one small, and choose the one that
meets/exceeds the requirement from the vendor). If you don't have anything
standardized, I would just go with the recommendation of the vendor,
although if they have several options I might see if one of them matches an
existing piece of equipment. For us, this is primarily intended to reduce
the number of on-site spares we need.

-Kevin

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:01 AM, XIN GUO <sguo18 at yorku.ca> wrote:

> Hi Colleagues,
>
> My question might not be quite related to this topic but I hope to get
> some feedback.
>
> We are considering to acquire a PECVD and RIE. I saw some buyers
> explicitly exclude Leybold pumps in their requirements. I am open to all
> suppliers but it does seem that Leybold pumps may have more issues than
> other reputable suppliers. Or, maybe I just got a wrong impression. Anyway,
> I do not mean to be bias on any supplier.
>
> Btw, any rule of thumb for choosing pumps for cleanroom equipment?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shane
>

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:37 AM Wing Leong CHUNG <mfcchung at ust.hk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>

>> I would like to express my apperciation to the replies from network
>> members, they really give me many valuable suggestions and information
>> regarding to my problem.
>>

>> With Many Many Thanks
>>
>> Jeff Chung
>> ------------------------------
>> *寄件者:* Wing Leong CHUNG
>> *寄件日期:* 2018年8月16日 15:32
>> *收件者:* labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu
>> *主旨:* Leybold turbo pump controller
>>

>> Dear network members,
>>

>> We have two turbo pump controllers (Mag Drive 1000, to drive MAG 900
>> turbo pump) out of order. It shows "Bearing Sensor" "Levitation Fail" onto
>> the display. We swarp a good controller to the system, no error message
>> appear. I guest the fault is come form the controller itself. However, I
>> contact with Leybold but they said this model is obsoleted, no service can
>> be provide further.
>>

>> Is there any suggestion of company can provide service to repair the
>> controllers?
>>

>> Jeff Chung
>> Engineer
>> Nanosystem Fabrication Facility (NFF) of Hong Kong University of Science
>> and Technology (HKUST)
>> Cell: (852)-2358-7211

Kevin Owen
Senior Engineer in Research
Operations Group, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
(734) 545-4014