[labnetwork] Interlocks - what do you use?

Shuyou Li shuyou at fomnetworks.com
Mon Jul 30 22:49:14 EDT 2018

 Hi Dylan,

At FOM we design and currently manufacture relay boxes for this purpose of
resource access control. Since we have control over the entire design, from
the enclosure box to the circuit to the bits on the microcontroller, we've
been able to customize the boxes to whatever extra capabilities the
customer institution wants. These features range from across-the-board
helpful features like physical control against users messing with it and
multi-channel versions, to customer-specific features like temperature
monitoring, interfacing with a card swipe reader so users can log into the
instrument without using a separate computer, and more.

In our experience, it is not really that difficult to add features if the
core hardware and software is made with extensibility in mind. What
"next-gen" means for hardware access control depends on what the lab
actually needs, which can be vastly different across even similar labs. So,
in lieu of defining "next-gen" in terms of a list of specific features,
which would make the hardware unnecessarily complex (if only 10% of labs
using the hardware need temperature monitoring, for instance, should
temperature sensors be added to everyone's box?), we feel that "next-gen"
simply means very flexible, customizable, and extensible, to be able to
accommodate any new feature, rather than to just have a long laundry list
of existing features.

Shuyou
Shuyou Li, Ph.D.
FOM Networks, Inc.