[labnetwork] Mechanical pump advice

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Tue Jun 5 18:21:35 EDT 2018

Iulian,

We also have moved to standardized pumps for the vast majority of our tools
- a larger Ebara pump and a smaller Adixen pump (mostly for loadlocks),
both dry pumps. They were spec'd originally to meet/exceed the needs of our
existing equipment and we tested them first to verify better performance
and lifetime than our previous pumps. We have several spares and keep an
electronic log of the locations for all of them by serial number and track
accumulation. We send them directly to the vendor for service (Ebara and
Pfeiffer respectively), have had some issues in the past with other 3rd
party refurbishment companies. We have a few spare parts like the quick
disconnects for the facility water and other odds and ends that are easier
to just replace in house, but again, very few. We also do our best to spec
new equipment with the same model pumps.

-Kevin

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:30 AM, DeVito, Richard <rdevito at draper.com> wrote:

> Iulian
>
> While they may not necessarily be  the cheapest we have chosen to go with
> Ebara for all our rough style pumps-dry pumps. This was in a lab wide
> effort to removal all oil pumps from the fab . Also, they have great added
> value in that we have a service contract for them to come in periodically
> and service all the pumps . We get a good deal on rebuilds as well.
> These days no one can justify someone full time to service or manage all
> these pumps so this was a a logical choice for us. We also don't have to
> stock any spare parts-just a few spare pumps.
>
> When we spec new tools they must come with a certain model  Ebara rough
> pump that is common to most of the large tools in the fab. In that way if
> one goes down it's a quick swap out with one of the spares we keep on hand.
>
> Having said all this, I am not sure if the service here will reflect the
> service where you are...?
>

> Best
>

> Rich DeVito
> Principle Member Technical Staff
> Group Leader Microfabrication Lab
> Draper
> 555 Technology Square,
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> Phone:  617-258-3819
> www.draper.com

Kevin Owen
Senior Engineer in Research
Operations Group, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
(734) 545-4014