[labnetwork] Single tube furnace duct temperature

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 2 15:28:38 EST 2018

James, I am assuming that this is an atmospheric furnace. If so, there's really no concern about exhaust temperature since the "load" end of the tube should have a loose fitting cap with a vent hole in it and the "source" end of the tube should have a transitional fitting to mate tubing to glass. Since the exhaust is always at the load end (called a "scavenger"), there is simply not enough gas going through the quartz tube to add any substantial heat load to your house exhaust.

If the cabinet that houses the heating element has exhaust, most furnace manufacturers will provide a water cooled "radiator" at the top to keep the temperature down. This is quite common on vertically stacked, multi tube furnaces but uncommon for a single. You are welcome to tour our facility and see our arrangement, just E-mail me a couple of days in advance.

Steve "Equipment Dood" Paolini

Harvard Center for Nanoscale Systems