[labnetwork] Sputtering LiPON

JR Gaines jrg at lesker.com
Tue May 22 19:57:31 EDT 2018

Dear Long,

LIPON is the electrolyte used in solid-state thin film lithium batteries.  The patents go back to Dr. John Bates at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the early 90's.  The material is made by reactively sputtering Li3PO4, by RF, in pure N2 gas.  There are several papers out there on making this material as a thin film.   Our company makes the precursor target material, lithium orthophosphate, as a sputter target or evaporation materials.  I have made this ceramic for more than 20 years and supported most of the major research and commercial efforts in the area of solid state batteries.

Let me know if you are interested in papers on the reactive deposition of Li3PO4 to form LIPON.

Best regards,

J.R.

JR Gaines | Technical Director of Education | Tel: +1 (412) 896-8402 | Cell: +1 (614) 446-2202 | Fax: +1 (412) 872-5046 | Email: jrg at lesker.com | http://www.lesker.com

If this email is transmitted to you in error, please notify me, and then delete this email and all copies. If this email is sent for legal or business purposes, (a) this email and its content or attachments may include confidential and/or proprietary information of Kurt J. Lesker Company, in which case all rights to that information are reserved by the Company, and (b) your right and authorization to retain, and use, this information is limited to the purpose(s)expressly stated in, or reasonably implied by, this email. Any questions should be directed to me. Thank you.