[labnetwork] EV620 win98 spare computer

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Wed Oct 10 10:16:14 EDT 2018

Our EV620 is running win98 and the cost EVG was talking to upgrade it to
the latest windows was above what I am willing to pay. It would not just
be the computer that needed upgrading but also parts of the hardware also.

We have a cloned HDD of the computer, but that would only be good in
case the HDD failed and we wanted to put it back into the same computer.

What I want to do is build a secondary computer with a cloned HDD, as
our win98 computer is showing signs of failing - random crashing, not
properly booting, forgetting drives (drives that are not used but errors
are appearing). In my experience you can not just put a HDD into a new
computer as it will have to load in drivers for the motherboard and
other hardware changes (unless you have the same hardware - which I will
likely not). The other concern is if I move the EV620 boards from one
computer to another if they will be recognized or if they also have a
license key - last thing I need is the system down as the boards will
not be recognized by either computer.

Has anyone done this with their systems that are running older operating
systems.

Chito Kendrick

--
Chito Kendrick Ph.D.

Chito Kendrick Website <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>
MTU Microfabrication Website <http://www.mtu.edu/microfabrication/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building