[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

N Shane Patrick patricns at uw.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:50:26 EDT 2018

Hi All,

We have a similar setup, but with a different set of data tunnels, so to say. User owned external drives are outright banned from being connected to any system in the facility.

Our lab runs on an internal network that only allow communication within that network, and no access to the internet as a whole. The exceptions being dedicated IPSEC tunnels that connect to servers for tool access control, security cameras, and, among those, data storage.

Via these tunnels, every tool has access to two network share drives, and each drive maintains separate directories for every user registered to our facility. One drive allows a limited quota of disk space where files may be stored long-term, and the other drive allows unlimited storage but files older than 2 weeks are automatically purged. When a user enables a tool via out extremely customized implementation of CORAL, scripts automatically make the correct directory for that user available to the drive mounts on the systems in question. Users may then store anything they generate to these drives. Upon disable, the directories are made inaccessible to protect that user’s data.

Users may then retrieve their files via a webpage on our custom CORAL frontend, or while anywhere on campus they may mount their directories as a drive share on their personal systems. So similar to other implementations, we have a server-in-the-middle approach that allows us to isolate the lab from outside threats while still allowing our users store their data in a protected but accessible space, but everything is internal rather than using external services.

We’ve implemented storage to these drives in other creative ways for systems that are less capable or intentionally brain-damaged in some way, including having our old Alphastep 100 be able to store traces as an image to these drives when it would normally only be able to print to a physical, attached printer. All of this is thanks to a very talented and patient lead developer we are very thankful to have. So I realize this very custom approach may not be doable by everyone, but it certainly has worked well for us.

N. Shane Patrick
Electron Beam Lithography
Research Engineer, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF)
National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall 129, Box 352143
(206) 221-1045
patricns at uw.edu <mailto:patricns at uw.edu>