[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

Nathan Nelson - Fitzpatrick nnelsonfitzpatrick at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 10 10:13:54 EDT 2018

Hi Kevin,

This is a very good question and I’m looking forward to reading all the responses that will come in.

We have a similar suite of tools running older Windows versions in our lab.  Our IT people have set up a Virtual LAN to let us network all of our tool PCs (including Windows XP and 7).  The Virtual LAN is barred from sending or receiving traffic outside of campus so we have greatly reduced worries about someone attacking vulnerable and un-patchable computer hardware.

To transfer into and out of the cleanroom VLAN we have a locally hosted instance of OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org ).  This sits on a server with one network card facing into the cleanroom network, and one network card facing out to the general campus network.

On all of the cleanroom computers we have installed a browser with the OwnCloud URL bookmarked, so a user will just login to their account through the Owncloud web interface and then uploading files is just a matter of “drag and drop”.  The files can be retrieved and downloaded on the user’s desktop computer using the same method (though the URL is different from the “in-cleanroom” URL).

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about our solution.

Best regards,
  -Nathan
--
Nathan Nelson-Fitzpatrick  PhD
Nanofabrication Process & Characterization Engineering Manager