[labnetwork] Cost-recovery model

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Wed Jan 30 18:02:10 EST 2019

Hi Shane,

I run a small microfab with the systems that you listed and a few
analysis tools as well. Enough to do fabrication down to 1-2 um litho
features , but nothing super fancy. The lab is also used for classes, I
currently teach a microfabrication class on using the tools to make a
photovoltaic cell that is way over engineered. I also have a faculty
member using part of my facility running a lab on multiple layer PCB
fabrication. The courses are used to train students, bring in some
income, and get students aware of the facility to chase that research
direction.

We are currently in a research slump (people want sub-micron fabrication
- but the cost would be to great for my user base) so recovering all
costs just through use fees is not an option. We do get some funds from
the VPR that we need to compete for with other shared facilities. I do
external work for small companies and even a university in Canada, but
it is still not enough to cover the bills - especially if something breaks.

What our use fees cover are a percentage of my salary (1/3), a set
supply list (basically anything the microfab class does not use it is
not consider essential so users need to buy those supplies - there are a
few supplies I keep that the class does not use but we have enough turn
over to make it worth it), maintenance, repairs, and acquisition of new
systems.

We have some issues with setting use fees to represent actual costs per
tool, as our accountants have set a $5000 min limit per use fee -
therefore I have to bundle similar systems to get their use fee or bill
only for supplies used. I am trying to resolve this and several have
tried for awhile at my Michigan Tech University.

Send me any questions if you have them.

Regards,

Chito Kendrick

On 1/30/2019 2:04 PM, Xin (Shane) Guo wrote:
> Hi Colleagues,
>
> We are building a microfabrication lab (small scale, standard basic
> instruments such as ebeam, sputtering, RIE, PECVD, lithography tools,
> etc).
>
> We are trying to understand how each facility recovers their cost on
> supplies, labour, maintenance, etc.
>
> Is your annual user fee collected sufficient to cover all your
> expenses including salary payment of the lab manager?
>
> Does your institution or department subsidise your facility? What is
> your financial model?
>
> All suggestions are welcome, especially those from Canadian institutions.
>
> Cheers
>
> Shane

Chito Kendrick Ph.D.

Chito Kendrick Website <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>
MTU Microfabrication Website <http://www.mtu.edu/microfabrication/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building