[labnetwork] Gold Deposition over Chrome

Andrei Alamariu aandreib at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 01:48:46 EDT 2019

Hello Jim,

The Gold - Cr2O3 adherence test you had done applying enough pressure with
a swab was very conclusive, and this problem has to be addressed indeed.

I think there are some constraints for heating up a mask plate.
First Cr itself might get Sinter like alloyed with the Glass/Quartz plate, resulting
a rough top surface (pinholes too) for such a thin 1000A film: as the metal
is “suck” like in the substrate. The lines edges might get affected.
All these for 15 min at ~ 400-500C : actually it depends on the “Temperature-Time
budget”
Au, Cu, Cr, Fe diffuse very fast in Silicon based materials; TiN blocks them/ see
the Damascene process.
Very possible that Au to significantly diffuse in Cr2O3, or other thermal assisted
enhanced adherence reaction.
You could try to use RTA.

Second is the mask plate flatness issue.
The Glass plate is safe limited to ~ 490C to minimize the plastic-gravity deformation.
The plate bending due to the metal stress and metal-Glass expansion coefficient
mismatch might not be a problem as the metal is very thin and is not continuous
being patterned.

Also possible you might think of depositing in-situ Cr & Au, or Cr2O3-Au and see
how it goes cold or after anneal.

Success!
Bernard

Sent from my iPad