[labnetwork] Starting Back Up

Brian Thibeault thibeault at ece.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 15 20:06:50 EDT 2020

Hi All,

We have been running for critical research only for almost 3 weeks with
extensive protocols and social distancing in place.  Here are some features
we have implemented.  I may not have them all here.  All wipe downs with
100% ISO from spray bottles.

1. two 6 hour shifts with one hour in between, M-F operation only.  Sat-Sun
also split shifts, but only for staff to calibrate and make repairs.
2. Shifts may not intermingle at all - both staff and users.  2-5 staff
on-site each shift depending on needs.  Always 2 equipment engineers.
3. Maximum occupancy set to about 15 people at this time.  No more than 4-5
per bay (we have 60ft long bays, 13 ft. wide) at any one time (depends on
bay).
4. One person per bench maximum.
5. 6 ft. distancing at all times.
6. Wipe down of all areas worked at, paying special attention to benches,
chairs, sashes, scopes, keyboards, work benches, etc.
7. Masks and double gloves at all times in CR
8. Masks and single layer gloves at all times in building (rack
outside building entrance for users)
9. Gowning room is large.  No more than 4 at a time, maintain distancing,
separation between gowns, wipe all benches and tables where user worked
after gowned, wipe all phones/laptops/boxes brought in.
10. One staff member per office can be on site.  Shifts are strict, no
cross-overs.
11. Temperature taken before allowed to enter building.
12. Acid aprons not shared, bagged and stored when not being used.
13. Between shift and at end of second shift cleaning:  All surfaces,
benches, scopes, keyboards, etc.  inside and outside lab in hallway, all
door handles
14. Users cannot enter staff office areas for any reason.  Interactions are
all outside of office areas.
15. Shifted some scopes around to make spacing work better.
16. Signs and markers everywhere to remind users of protocols.
17. Staff in CR at all times to monitor users for protocols and help with
machine issues.
18. No tool training.

Well, that is a lot of what we are doing.  Users are behaving well and have
gotten used to the protocols.  We have not hit max occupancy levels yet
with the critical work (mostly DOD-DX or DO rated, COVID-related, Medical
supply related) that we have allowed in.

Best to you all,
Brian

  --
Brian Thibeault, Ph.D.