[labnetwork] How to charge for sputtering target use

Bill Kiether wjkiethe at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 4 23:03:30 EDT 2020

At NCSU, we established a standard thickness deposition (Approx 250 nm) and
established a value for that run.  Every precious metal run less than that
standard is charged a minimum value.  Thicker depositions are charged a
prorated amount. We weigh the target before and after every users
deposition, to basically track the average value of the standard
deposition, but only charge more if it gets close to double the average.
Our minimum value was determined over time, and is based on the targets
cost/or the replenishment cost. We tell the users before changing the
rates, but that way we can handle large swings in the raw metal pricing.

Bill Kiether
NCSU Nanofabrication Facility
www.ncsu.edu

Bill