[labnetwork] How to charge for sputtering target use

Fouad Karouta f.karouta at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 19:55:58 EDT 2020

Hi Long,

At ANFF-ACT Canberra we charge precious materials in sputter at a fixed
rate of AUD1/nm thickness.
In my opinion charging the weight difference is not the most accurate way
as targets tend to get consumed more in the central part and you have to
change the target once the middle part of the material is fully consumed.
This brings additional cost when buying a new target even though the olad
target can be recycled.
Another factor to consider: in the last six months gold price went up
dramatically so if it happens you need to change targets nowadays the
prices are substantially higher than a year ago.

Regards,
Fouad Karouta

Ex-Manager ANFF ACT Node

Australian National University