[labnetwork] Sputtering GdFeCo

Aaron Hryciw ahryciw at ualberta.ca
Fri May 1 19:12:16 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

We recently had a request to deposit GdFeCo in one of our shared-use
sputtering systems.  We have no experience with this material, and would
appreciate any advice you could share.

The issue I've come across is a discrepancy between different SDSs for
commercial Gd24Fe68Co8 sputtering targets.  One vendor's SDS indicated that
the material was not classified as hazardous and had no special handling or
storage considerations; another listed Category 1 respiratory and skin
sensitisation, water reactivity, and storage under an inert atmosphere,
presumably by combining the hazards listed for the individual elements.

Can anyone comment on the hazard and storage requirements of this material,
especially in the context of an open-access facility ?  For our shared-used
systems, targets are swapped weekly, and there is currently no provision at
our facility to store the target in an inert, moisture-free environment
when it is not in the system.  Is such inert storage necessary?  Many
thanks.

Cheers,

 – Aaron

Aaron Hryciw, PhD, PEng