[labnetwork] Sputtering GdFeCo

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat May 2 12:50:14 EDT 2020

Hi Aaron,

I worked with GdFeCo many years ago.  I’m hesitant to comment on any hazards, as you will need to assess what is best for your facility.  We treated it the same we would as other Co and Ni based alloys.  I can tell you it is very sensitive to oxygen, so I do suggest storing it in an inert environment if possible.  Because of its sensitivity, we also found that base pressure was extremely important.  We could not achieve the necessary magnetic properties unless we deposited with a base pressure below 2e-7 Torr (at high 10e-8 scale, the properties were decent).  We had the problem that our system was not load-locked, so we had to do long presputters as well.  We also found it helped to do a little gettering prior to deposition by sputtering a lot of Ti or Ta in the chamber.  Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D
Executive Manager, Claire & John Bertucci Nanotechnology Laboratory