[labnetwork] Toxic Gases tubing

John D Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 14 22:29:47 EDT 2020

Kamal:

Disclaimer: I am retired and have not received a paycheck for 5 years. As a result, you cannot trust/accept anything I say without independently verifying it with someone that is still up to date.

But, a few comments:

1. CGA (Compressed Gas Association) produces a document numbered G-13 related to the handling and distribution of Silane. Many, but not all codes, refer to that and use their recommendations as standards. Last I knew (double check this …) Silane was NOT required to be secondarily contained.

2. For low pressure gases such as DCS and BCl3, I would be remiss if I did not tell you that Steve Paolini at Harvard (AKA The Equipment  Dood) would STRONGLY recommend the use of sub-atmospheric regulators to avoid the need for heating these lines to prevent condensation. While I never had a chance to specify/buy/work on such a system, I would ABSOLUTELY explore that option. Heating gas lines is never fun!

3. For the chlorinated gases such as Cl2, BCl3, HCl … and maybe their brominated brethren … you used to be able to run them in a single-wall line of Hastelloy (AKA C-22) instead of double walled 316L. Note: this may no longer be true … don’t trust my word. The downside is that Hastelloy tubing makes 316L look cheap … although single-wall Hastelloy may be comparable to double-wall 316L. But, if you do have to heat lines, heating single-wall is a LOT easier than trying to heat double-wall. Also, orbital welding of Hastelloy takes a completely different program than they use for 316L. A good welder will have that program ready to go. Beware, however, if they say “It looks like stainless … how hard can it be?”

Best of luck!

John

Sent from my iPhone