[labnetwork] Black Silicon

N P Vamsi Krishna vamsinittala at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:01:31 EDT 2021

Hi Tom,

Thank you for this question. I had a similar problem with Cryo etch in the
Oxford tool. I didn't understand why this is happening, but I was able to
make some repeatable samples.

My Cryo etch process was on dies and not on the full wafer. I bond the die
to the carrier wafer. Here are my observations:

1.     Pre-conditioning of the chamber with the cryo process helped a lot.

a.     After the condition run, if I see the black silicon, chamber
cleaning is required.

b.     Ar + Oxygen clean and then oxygen clean helped.

c.     Followed by repeating the conditioning.

2. Etching fewer dies worked better than multiple dies on the wafer.

3. After some successful runs, I generally observe black silicon starting
on one of the corners of the carrier wafer. Once I see the black silicon,
it's better to discard the carrier wafer and use a fresh one. Using the
same wafer resulted in full black silicon affecting the die and chamber
needing cleaning and condition again.

4. Also, the results were bad if the temperature was unstable.

To the best of my knowledge, chamber conditioning is the key.

Once your issue is fixed, I request you to share the knowledge and
experience.

Thanks & br,
Vamsi