[labnetwork] ICP analysis for unknown grease

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 12 12:08:34 EDT 2021

Hello Saba,

Where in the load-lock did you find this material?  Widely, uniformly distributed, or in spots/patches?

What kind of system is this?  This is a system to which students/users have access?

In our systems, the most popular material to gunk up load-locks with is silicone heat-sink paste (sticking wafer coupons to carrier wafers), which falls neatly into the white, greasy, soft category.  The "right" kind of paste has pretty low vapor pressure, but perhaps a users found some other stuff...

If Waterloo has an SEM imaging lab, I'd think the quickest route would be to put this stuff under an EDX analyzer (assuming the SEM folks don't mind some sticky stuff in their chamber).

XRF is good for analyzing stuff that you don't want to put into a vacuum.  Most uni's that have nanofab core centers will have analytical gear like this.

For outside companies, Evans Analytical (EAG now) does this kind of work, but it tends to be kind of expensive.

Mac Hathaway
Senior Process and Systems Engineer
Harvard CNS