[labnetwork] Cleaning up/ reconditioning VCR seals?

Mac Hathaway hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 11 12:28:15 EDT 2021

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever developed a scheme for polishing or
reconditioning VCR sealing surfaces.  Obviously, buying a new one is the
best approach, but some of our fittings are rather expensive or hard to
come by, and some technique for cleaning up mild wear or whatnot would
be handy.  And of course, this would not be applied to toxics.

I leak test these down to 1E-12 torr-liter/sec, so that would be my
goal.  I imagine coaxial spinning of the fitting surface would be best
(not hand-held), but what final grit would be needed.  Is
electropolishing absolutely necessary to get a good seal?  This would be
very light polishing, not enough to flatten the bead of the seal.

Any trick to keeping the polished particles out of the bore, or just an
ultrasonic clean at the end?

If it's impossible, that's good to know, as well.

Thanks,

Mac

Mac Hathaway

Senior Process and Systems Engineer