[labnetwork] Cleanroom elevated floor

Michael Rooks michael.rooks at yale.edu
Mon Dec 13 08:39:25 EST 2021

I agree with your designers, but cleanliness is not the issue. Raised
floors make it very difficult to move and to position heavy equipment. You
can expect a lot of movement of machines over the life of the cleanroom,
and the raised floor will make every single one an expensive trauma. Also,
many states (around here in the US) require all sub-floor wiring to be in
conduits or plenums. ALL of them! Of course you are not going to follow the
rules, and then the Safety Department will demand that all the machines be
shut down while certified contractors take your money. You could have
simply put a plastic wire through on the floor, but no - you had to have
raised floor.  On the other hand, a subfloor is a handy place to hide
contraband.

Michael Rooks
nano.yale.edu