[labnetwork] Cleanroom elevated floor

Owain Clark odc1n08 at soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 14:55:58 EST 2021

We run a raised floor. So far we have not had many problems moving tools. For the heaviest we have sometimes reinforced with steel sheets during movement and then when in place we use some small steel plates to spread load per contact point. The Nikon scanner install did require improved structural engineering for its floor area, which was not cheap. This was not part of the original build.

Yes it does get filthy down there, I wish I could say we cleaned every 3 months but that would not strictly be true. It can help with the odd cooling water flood by routing it straight to drain. Touch wood we have not had that problem for a long time. Nearly all of our services run in it and there is no great issue there, apart from sometimes the requirement for confined space training can be an irritation, especially for any gas line welding.

I prefer not to hide things there, they have a habit of becoming forgotten and staying there too long. We used to have some backing pumps down there, but the hassle of lifting them out for servicing was not worth the space/vibration savings.

Owain.