[labnetwork] clean room garments laundry vendors

Chow, Carl carl.chow at hpe.com
Thu Feb 25 01:12:48 EST 2021

Nava:

We used Aramark in the past, but now use Prudential.  I was told Cintas didn't offer cleanroom services in the Bay Area.

The business model of these large providers is based on a long term relationship.  They ask for 7-8 year contracts and structure pricing to recover their costs based on this length of contract.  We negotiated down to 5 years.

Start-up costs are in picking the type garments (hoods, gowns, frocks, boots, shoe covers), sizes, (S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc.) and number of garments (1/3 in house, 1/3 in transit*, 1/3 being cleaned).  Also, each garment is bar coded, so this is how they keep track of them.  We keep our inventory with FIFO (first in first out) because if they don't see a garment for 6 months, they think it is lost and may charge you.  Or, you will need to send unused garments back just so they can be scanned.  Some vendors have minimum dollar amounts.  Check their terms, like net 30 to see if that is compatible with your company/school's Accounts Payable policy.  We did not opt for the insurance option, which would have added 10%.  We have had DBR (damaged beyond repair) garments that they charge us for and return, and we keep them on hand for dirty jobs (bar code is marked out with a black sharpie).  Lastly, check the fine print for charges involved with breaking/terminating the contract (fees, notice length, registered letter, etc.).

* this was true when garment cleaning facility was 500 miles away. Now, provider is about 2 miles away, so split is more like 80% in house, 20% in transit/being cleaned.

You end up with lots and lots of plastic, which unfortunately, they don't take back or recycle.  We have found other uses for the larger plastic bags.

Delivery is another logistical challenge.  Our driver comes sometime on Friday afternoons.  He rings our doorbell, which rings my cell phone.  If I'm on site, no issue, but if I'm not, I try to get Security to meet the driver and have the used garment bag ready to go.  I thought of having a secure bin outside the building, but that wouldn't be good for dust.  Our lobby doors are locked and with covid, we can't issue a badge.  And, they send different drivers, who can't share a badge.

In our case, we saved a lot by going with a local supplier, we don't worry about running out of garments, they are professionally cleaned, and we have an account manager with quarterly reviews.  I toured their cleaning plant before deciding to switch.  With our somewhat fixed weekly price, we clear the gown room racks every week.

Carl Chow
Hewlett Packard Labs