[labnetwork] Sputtering Yttrium

Whitney Rochelle Hess wrhess at mit.edu
Wed Jan 13 09:59:21 EST 2021

Hi all,

We've received a request to sputter yttrium. If you have experience sputtering this material, it would be helpful if you could share details on the safety precautions you've taken. Our sputterer is loaded from ambient air, so our main concerns are during maintenance and cleanup if we have generated high surface area films, flakes, or powders that are more water reactive, and potentially pyrophoric.

Thanks!

Whitney

Whitney Hess, PhD
Manager of Safety Systems and Programs | MIT.nano
MIT, Room 12-5025
Phone: 617-253-8567
Email: wrhess at mit.edu