[labnetwork] Sapphire dicing

Ahdam Ali aali at eng.ucsd.edu
Fri May 14 11:11:37 EDT 2021

Natalia,

At Nano3, we utilize a Disco DAD3220 Dicing Saw with Hubless blades in
order to dice sapphire substrates. The process is relatively fool-proof,
but one must be careful with dicing parameters. Cutting glass or sapphire
typically require depth steps (multiple passes along a single cut) as well
as very low feed speeds in order to ensure the integrity of the sample.
This results in a considerably lower throughput when compared to dicing of
a material such as Si.

Best,

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 4:57 AM Natalia Pankratova <
natalia.a.pankratova at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Can you please share your experience on dicing sapphire wafers? Blade
> dicing or laser? Do you have a favorite dicing brand/model?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Natalia Pankratova.
> *Alice&Bob*