[labnetwork] Sapphire dicing

Ahdam Ali aali at eng.ucsd.edu
Mon May 17 21:42:27 EDT 2021

Gloria and Natalia,

I’ll write up a procedure and include consumables/parts. Discussions with a professional dicing service has taught me that it’s possible to dice sapphire with a single pass up to 1mm, but they dress very heavily for each sample (removing 20% of the samples thickness from the blade) and even they blow up blades. It’s quite a difficult material to dice. Depth steps seem to the most viable route.

Best,

Ahdam Ali
R&D Engineer II
UCSD Calit2 Nano3 Facility