[labnetwork] UV light bulbs for mask aligner

Serkan Butun butun at northwestern.edu
Fri Apr 1 14:28:29 EDT 2022

Hi Ana,

Paul asked me about our experience regarding the IDONUS UV LED (365 nm single wavelength) conversion. We have converted both MJB4 and MA6 about 3 years ago and we have been happy ever since. They come for the installation of the MA6 lamp and we installed the MJB4 (Covid happened). It is not very hard to do and they were very helpful during the whole process.

In terms of performance, I am very happy with the power levels. We use it mostly 20 mW/cm2 which is the lowest you can comfortably use on the MJB4. Uniformity is a lot better than the Hg lamp. The fact that is turns on instantly for the duration of exposure and off afterwards, there is no need for N2 cooling and no annoying 10 min worm up/cool down time. We did have Hg lamp explosions a couple of times in the past which were a pain because the elliptical mirrors were broken. With the LED we don’t have this risk.

We did have a few issues but it turned out that there were some loose electrical connections and IDONUS was again very helpful to diagnose the issue. The only real down side I have is the fact that the resist manufacturer datasheet exposure recommendations are not valid anymore. But we did our own tests and publish recommended exposure tables to our users.

You may contact me if you have further questions,

Best,
Serkan

Serkan Butun, PhD.
Research Associate, NUFAB