[labnetwork] ALD reactor thru wall sealing ideas

Kevin M McPeak kmcpeak at lsu.edu
Thu Jul 14 18:47:38 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Over the past year and a half, the LSU nanofabrication facility has constructed a plasma-enhanced ALD tool with much advice from Scott Butcher at MEAglow. See photos of the tool here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBMRZnYfKJmJBQtKA

Our current plan is to house the tool outside the cleanroom and have the heated/insulated door stick through a hole in the cleanroom wall (1/2" thick Al honeycomb), see photos.

We are looking for ideas on the best way to seal the hole in the wall around the jacket. We are thinking of cutting the wall larger than the jacket diameter and then fabricating a large rubber grommet around the jacket. Hopefully, some of you have tools with these kinds of seals and can provide first-hand experience or even sources for the materials.

The reactor body is built from a MDC 8" Tee (https://www.mdcprecision.com/404041-tee-8-inchflange) with a 3/4" thick heated jacket wrapped around it. The maximum external temperature of the jacket is 129 F (touch safe).

Thanks for your input in advance!

Regards,
Kevin