[labnetwork] Providing chemical gloves to users

Eric Johnston ericdj at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 10 14:51:15 EST 2022

Hi All

Here is a summary of the answers to my questions about chemical glove use:

Is each user responsible for their own pair of gloves?
- One group issues a pair of gloves to each individual. They are kept in a
Ziploc bag and replaced as requested.

Is there a common set of gloves that are replaced periodically?
- Everyone else who responded indicated that they provide a common set of
gloves. These are inspected on a weekly basis to a monthly basis.

Are chemical gloves single use and then disposed of?
- Nobody uses these gloves as single-use.
- One group simply double gloves with the standard nitrile cleanroom gloves
for most chemical work, then the outer gloves are disposed of.

Do you use one type of glove material for all processing?
- Almost everyone uses Trionic for all chemical work.
- We use the Ansell Solvex gloves for HF (they cover more of the forearm)
and the Trionic for all else. The Trionic gloves certainly provide more
dexterity than the heavier Solvex gloves.

Other notes:
- Testing: this is done either with a nitrogen gun to fill the glove, or
twisting it closed to inflate the palm and digits. If the nitrogen gun is
located in the chemical hood for which they will be using the gloves, one
might look askance at that.
- There were a couple of notes about Trionic gloves cracking prematurely.
In one case it was noted that DI accelerated the degradation, and another
DI water retarded degradation. I guess the message here is: Keep an eye on
your Trionic gloves for premature cracking.
- Butyl II 874R glove, not powder-free (powder-free was VERY expensive)

Best Regards

Eric