[labnetwork] Anodic Bonding

Casey Jackson caseysj at umich.edu
Sat Apr 1 10:23:32 EDT 2023

Hi Edward,

I'm a but of a novice no both of these fronts but I do have a little
experience with both so I'll share my thoughts:

First my assumptions:
- Raman spectroscopy is tuned to respond to symetrically bonded electron
pairs ei will give a signal for Si-Si but wont for Si-O.
-Anodic bonding creates a bond by charge separating ions from the ion rich
SiO2 glass into the ion deficient native SiO2 on the Si surface.

If both these assumption are true then running your anodic bonding process
for a reduced period of time may eliminate your issue.

If you are pushing your ions through the entirety of your native oxide such
that the ions are now positioned directly on top of your Si layer, you may
have some Si-Si bonded electrons that have slightly different resonance due
to the presence of local ions. This would create broader peaks in your
Raman and possibly the excess fluorescence your seeing.

Again my experience with this is limited on both Raman and Anodic bonding
but my first guess would be to reduce the time you allow the bond to form.

I hope this helps and good luck!

*Best,*
*Casey Jackson  -  UM Staff & Student*
*Equipment Engineer | **LNF  *