[labnetwork] FW: Habitual late payments from external clients

McCleery, Mary mccleery.7 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:35:14 EDT 2023

Julia,

We’ve definitely had clients that pay late habitually.  In the past I’ve had to pester them and, unfortunately, we’ve never charged a late fee.  However, OSU has switched to a centralized invoicing system so all invoices are sent from the same address and payment is made centrally.  It’s good in that they do the follow-up on late bills by sending dunning letters and sending them to university collections, which usually gets people to act.  The problem is that if it goes to collections and gets collected, we get charged a collection fee and they still don’t charge the client a fee, so we eat it.  I try to keep an eye on things and notify late payers before it goes to internal collections at 90 days just to avoid that charge that they don’t pass on to the client.  The funny thing is that the invoices state that they can charge late fees as did my invoices when I invoiced directly.

“Finance charges and/or late fees may apply after the due date listed above”

I’m still waiting for central AR to start that.

Not much of an answer but it’s where we’re at.

Mary McCleery
Nanotech West Lab
614-688-3119           mccleery.7 at osu.edu<mailto:mccleery.7 at osu.edu>

[CharleyHarperOhio]