[labnetwork] Ti Sputtering with a Lesker Torus MagKeeper without a backing plate

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 15 17:00:58 EDT 2023

Hi Tucson,

We have a PVD75 system with the Torus Magkeeper guns.  We run targets with
and without a backing plate depending on the material.  That said, all of
the targets have a magnetic keeper either mounted to the backing plate or
to the back of the target.  The advantage of running without a backing
plate is that you can go to higher power if needed.  For Ti, we prefer to
run the target without a backing plate, so in that case, the magnetic
keeper is mounted directly to the back of the target.  We have not
attempted to run any targets without a keeper, and I would be hesitant to
do so, as the keeper helps to ensure the target is centered and sitting in
good electrical and thermal contact with the copper cooling surface.  If
you are running a confocal arrangement with angled cathodes, I would also
be concerned that actuation of the shutter would create enough vibration to
move the target in the absence of a keeper.

Best Regards,

Matt