[labnetwork] Argon vs Krypton for sputtering

Albert William Flounders bill_flounders at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 31 14:39:38 EDT 2023

 Robert,
Interesting question. I think it's driven by cost
Ar is almost 1% in air while all other noble gases are in the ppm range (Kr
~1ppm)
The ionization energy for Ar and Kr is similar (both much lower than Ne and
He)
so you get good ionization yield from Ar. I'm not sure that the sputter
yield gain of
Kr would be worth the significant additional cost.
I'm curious what other replies you receive.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley