[labnetwork] High footfall in the cleanroom

Deng, Jiangdong jdeng at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 22 14:57:28 EST 2023

Hi, Savitha,

I have the same question as Iulian,  “where did the maximum capacity of 50 come from?”  How big is your cleanroom and the actual working area for users?

It is a good topic, though, since we in CNS-Harvard are facing the similar situation. Our cleanroom (CNS -Harvard) size is ~ 10.5 k sq ft,  but it includes the chases, gowning room, and tool holdings. So, the real open work area is tight (<2-3k sq ft) based on our user size.   We usually see 25-35 users working in the CR at a time.  If the user number goes over 40, the traffic becomes heavy and worrisome. During the pandemic, we had some approaches to limit the CR occupancy, for example, putting the limit on the door entry and tool scheduling. However, with more users coming back and the research getting busier, we can’t just simply keep the restriction on without a solid legislation base. We (with the school EHS) are studying and working on this topic, but so far haven’t found any clear code from OSHA or other resources for the CR occupancy limit. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone happens to know and can share the related regulations.

Best regards and Happy holidays to everyone!

-JD

-- Jiangdong Deng (JD), Ph. D
Associate Director,
Center for Nanoscale Systems