[labnetwork] HDD Best Practice

Lino Eugene lino.eugene at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 10 13:20:13 EST 2023

Hi Long,

Most of our computers are connected to a Synology NAS with RAID 1 configuration in a private network. The Synology software Active to Backup Business does back up the Windows 7 and 10 computers and Macrium Reflect is used for Windows XP. Backups are run weekly and several versions are kept for few months. We also have an offline backup of the NAS.

When a hard drive fails, a new one is installed and the computer can be booted from a recovery media and connects to the NAS to recover a backup. This has saved us from long downtimes few times.

Best,

Lino Eugene, P.Eng., Ph.D.,
Micro/nanofabrication process engineer
Quantum-Nano Fabrication and Characterization Facility
Office of Research
QNC 1611
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West