[labnetwork] MAU Steam Coil

Collins, Deon deonc69 at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 5 11:38:17 EST 2023

The conditions of the steam coils are directly affected by sequencing for cold weather and the condition of the steam. Carbonic Acid builds up In many steam systems and corrodes the steam coils from the inside out. While working for large industrial complexes, we saw this in boilers with little or no steam conditioning. If you have good steam quality coming in look at the sequencing of the AHU to ensure the unit properly protects itself when the free stats trip on cold days. We just happen to lose a coil last week with the cold snap. The unit tripped with the outside air dampers stuck open and froze, the steam coil failed to go to 100% heat and the coils froze. We have since looked at the sequencing for the unit. The outside dampers should close, the return air dampers should fully open, steam should go to 100% to protect the chiller coil(is so equipped) and dependent on design the chiller coil may or may not circulate a little water to help keep the unit from freezing up solid.

I will say this, if you have repaired leaks on an individual steam coil multiple times its probably time to replace/recore it.