[labnetwork] [EXTERNAL] MAU Steam Coil

Morrison, Richard H., Jr rmorrison at draper.com
Wed Jan 4 15:59:43 EST 2023

HI Everyone,

We have replaced our coil 2 times in 12 years, the last one had the cleanroom down for 2 days, we did it over a weekend to minimize the work. We purchased the new coil ourselves and hired a mechanical contractor to install, our was on the roof so it need to be craned up and the old one craned out. The issue we have is with vibration so we used a flexible coupling to dampen the vibration this time, we also upgraded the steam generator and replace the humidifier in the duct work all at the same time.

Since 2012 install the weather has become very cold and dry in the winter time in Cambridge and we could not keep the RH in spec, so we increased the steam generator output from 6" to 8" and used a larger dispersion coil in the duct work and now we meet spec on the coldest/driest day. Because the summers are hotter and more humid we just increased the chilled water by adding a pump. So over 12 years we had to upgrade the chilled water and stream generator to maintain RH during the winter and summer.

Beware to those building new cleanrooms the old rules of thumb for RH control do not always work due to climate change.

Rick

Richard Morrison
DMTS
Draper Laboratory