[labnetwork] Cl2, BCl3 and Silane sensors for toxic gas monitoring

John Nash jcn8004 at rit.edu
Mon Jan 16 08:46:23 EST 2023

All,
According to SEMI S2 and S4, you should follow all Federal, State and Local requirements. Federal and state are typically the same requirements set by OSHA, NFPA and other applicable Federal entities. Local would be your county, town, village and EHS departments. Don't forget to consult with your insurance carrier as well.

Here at RIT, our toxic lines are all double wall with an N2 push from the tool end before entering into the tool gas box and pushes N2 back to the gas cabinet. Our gas cabinets (bottle and regulator area), tool gas box (tool valves and distribution piping) and the operator area are all monitored. Except for the operator areas all sense lines are in the exhaust ducts of the appropriate areas.

Our Silane and Ammonia systems are a bit different because they go to a VMB (valve manifold box). The N2 push is set up there and pushes to the gas cabinet as well as to each tool. This also aids in determining where leaks may be if a detection occurs.

I understand this seems excessive and expensive but it is way cheaper than a law suit.

I am not a lawyer nor up to date on all regulations or laws. This email is simply stating what I considered when deciding on what to do.

Have a great day.
Regards,

John C Nash
SMFL - Technician
Rochester Institute of Technology
Semiconductor & Microsystems Fabrication Laboratory
82 Lomb Memorial Dr.
Bldg. 17-2627
Rochester, NY 14623

585-626-8930