[labnetwork] Cleanroom consultant

Jeffrey Salzmann jks7 at buffalo.edu
Fri Jun 16 10:43:51 EDT 2023

Joe,

I’ll second Dennis’ comment about what the room needs to do before you start working on the design. I’ve seen the ‘what to we want’ question go unanswered well into the funding process, twice, in my career. Both were state schools and government cash was available.

Generally speaking, I would not use a building contractor to provide room design services. It’s easy to get lost in the weeds on the technical aspects and my local contactors bluster their way through the quoting. If you can hire a designer that can specifically do cleanrooms, (and provide references!!) you’re in much better shape.  I suggest cleanroomservices.com as a potential vendor, Ralph Kraft does excellent work.

Never let a builder certify their own work. Don’t release the final payment on the room until a third-party has certified the performance. If they balk on that as part of the contact, get another vendor.

Another warning- Be careful about corners getting cut by higher-ups without understanding the consequences.

Build # 1: I once had a facility director block my roomside replaceable HEPAs, used a cheaper option…while that’s not an entirely bad idea, but the room was certed to ISO-13485 annually and since the particle challenge was part of the certification, the entire ceiling needed to be opened up to get access to challenge the filters…every year…so after the certification testing, the room needed a deep clean and validation. This took the room down over two weeks, since it also needed biological testing. I would hope the filter designs now allow for such things (this was over a decade ago) but keep this sort of thing in mind. The needs and use of the room dictate the build.

Build #2: Makeup air was designed to be taken off the rooftop and conditioned, but this proved problematic to hit required RH levels in summertime. As a stopgap, the facility manager decided to draw makeup air from the building interstitial (a building over 30 years old). This did horrific things to the prefilters since the entire interstitial was loaded with 3 decades of dust, and occasionally the unclipped ceiling tiles (another facility manger decision) would make the cleanroom ceiling tiles raise and drop continually.

Same sort of logic applies to the DI water systems. Email me directly if you need to discuss that.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Salzmann
Assistant Professor of Research
Cleanroom Manager, Shared Instrumentation Laboratories
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
University at Buffalo
114A Davis Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
Tel: 716.645.2584