[labnetwork] Habitual late payments from external clients

Nava Ariel-Sternberg na2661 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 21 09:34:00 EDT 2023

Hi Julia, all,

Do external users sign a legal agreement to use your facility?

To use our facility, external users sign a legal agreement (we have a
template phrased by our OGC who also reviews any requested changes to the
template). Payment is part of the terms and conditions of using our
facilities.

We send invoices monthly and if users are late, after a few reminders and
warnings, they get blocked from using our facility and usually that helps to
get them to pay.

In a couple of cases we had to involve the GC to send specific companies
letters. One of the companies paid most of the debt after receiving the
letter. The other one was too small and the dollar amount was too small to
chase but they are blocked in our system from using the labs, ever again.

As for applying interest payment, not sure if the recharge center guidelines
allow that, but even if they do, I wouldn't want to go that route because of
the overhead of just managing this on your side. I don't know how your
billing system works but these are just my thoughts.

-Nava

Dr. Nava Ariel-Sternberg

Senior Director of CNI Labs

Columbia University