[labnetwork] soft cap number for research groups

Tobi Beetz tobi at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 19 16:51:31 EDT 2024

Hi Fubo – While I don’t have any answers to your questions, it sounds like you might not have a cap yet. If that is the case, I strongly recommend staying off the cap system.

It took us several years to phase out our various caps at SNSF. We observed so many issues when we had a cap. Users would leave tools enabled, push to do all their experiments during a certain month, share accounts, …. Faculty argued that they should be able to budget but I think this turned out to be an issue anymore. When we started to phase out the caps, we dropped rates slightly and also started a lower off-peak rates during evening/night and weekends (https://snsf.stanford.edu/labmembers/rates). The off-peak rates now allow budget conscious users or expert users to get a financial break when staff are not available.

Cheers,

Tobi

Tobi Beetz, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Stanford Nano Shared Facilities, Stanford University, http://snsf.stanford.edu