[labnetwork] PI funding gaps

Iulian Codreanu codreanu at udel.edu
Fri Mar 22 10:53:34 EDT 2024

Hi Michael,

I have not encountered the scenario you mentioned but I am providing
some comments you may find useful.

Our reservation system "talks" to the University's financial system
every time a user makes a reservation or enables a tool for usage. If
the financial account the user has on file is out of money, expired,
etc. the reservation system presents the user with the ability to
proceed with using a "suspense code" (I am not sure why I agreed to that
name). If the user makes that choice, an email is generated to provide a
valid account at the earliest convenience. We have not had any
situations where we did not get a valid account number by the time we
completed our monthly billing cycle.

The bailing mechanism you mentioned would probably be a good way to
handle this. I believe that charging some users but not charging others
(for whatever reason) runs afoul of the federal service center rules our
labs have to adhere to.

Cheers,

Iulian

iulian Codreanu, Ph.D.