[labnetwork] TMAH vs KOH

Matthieu Nannini, Dr. matthieu.nannini at mcgill.ca
Wed May 18 12:20:36 EDT 2011

Dear all,

Having only one base dedicated bench running TMAH @ 85C I have now to make a choice between TMAH and KOH since new researcher are asking for KOH. Maintaining the 2 chemicals requires resources that I don't have.
Process wise, TMAH is better with oxide masks but KOH is better with SiN masks. KOH also etches faster and nicer.
My questions are in terms of safety: could you share your experiences with KOH vs TMAH in terms of ease of use, safety, etc...

Thanks

Matthieu Nannini
McGill Nanotools Microfab
Manager