[labnetwork] TMAH vs KOH

David A. Bunzow dabunzow at lbl.gov
Wed May 18 16:26:09 EDT 2011

Hello Mattieu,
IMHO, from a health perspective, TMAH appears far more dangerous than KOH.  We
recently prepared a lab-wide notification concerning TMAH and its known but often
overlooked dangers based on skin adsorption as opposed to ingestion as an
identified
route of exposure.

"Materials Safety Bulletin
September 24, 2010

TMAH: New Hazard Awareness Concerning an Old Chemical
Tetramethylammonium hydroxide (TMAH) is widely used in micro- or nanofabrication
as an etchant and developer. In MSD, TMAH is typically one of several
ingredients in
commercial etching/stripping mixtures, although it may also be used as a pure
chemical.

While it has long been known to be very toxic if ingested, recent industrial
experience
indicates that skin exposure may result in serious injury/illness or even death.
Since 2007,
there have been 3 recorded fatalities from skin exposure to TMAH solutions as
dilute as
25%. Two of the recorded fatalities occurred due to heart attack despite immediate
decontamination and prompt medical care. Thus skin, exposure to >1% TMAH over a
few percent of the body must be treated as a life-threatening event. MSDSs may
be out of
date and not properly describe this high dermal toxicity.

When handling this material, the minimum set of personal protective equipment
includes:
safety goggles (not glasses), disposable nitrile gloves, a buttoned lab coat,
leg covering and
closed-toe shoes. The disposable gloves may only provide brief protection and
must be
replaced if they become wetted. More protective gloves are the Stansolv or
Tri-Ionic glove
models sold by MAPA.

In the event of a splash, contaminated clothing must be removed and the wetted area
thoroughly washed with soap and water, using the emergency shower if necessary.
Call 911 and summon emergency medical help.

You should not handle TMAH containing materials when working alone.
Tri-Ionic clean room gloves provide excellent protection from TMAH exposure."

David A. Bunzow
User Facilities Program Manager
The Molecular Foundry
Materials Science Division