[labnetwork] Dilution of Triton X-100

Dan Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 9 16:04:45 EDT 2012

Fouad,

For work at the Cornell NanoScale Facility, I developed a small drop bottle of diluted Triton X-100 for users to add to any etching solution they wanted to add a surfactant to. The key to success is to remember that with surfactants, a little goes a long way. Trying to determine the proper concentration I came across a publications (sorry I don't have the reference) that showed that the micelle density for the Triton X-100 seemed to plateau at a concentration of about 100 ppm. So, I purchased a small eye dropper style bottle, diluted it with water to the proper amount, and labeled the bottle with directions to add 1 - 2 drops per 100 mL of etching solution to get to the 100 ppm concentration. That way, researchers could chose to have an etchant with surfactant or without, depending on their application, without overfilling our chemical cabinets. We also point to that instead of using IPA for KOH etching due to flammability issues. I didn't do too many tests on it but the comments from the users who tried it were generally favorable.

Prior to this, a few users would pour the 100% Triton into the container, usually leaving a layer floating on top of the etchant. Once they dipped their wafers into that mess, the Triton would never come off the substrate or the container. Highly dilute is the key.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Safety Manager, College of Engineering