[labnetwork] who cleans your cleanroom?

Luciani, Vincent vincent.luciani at nist.gov
Mon Mar 5 18:31:42 EST 2012

Hello Iulian,

*         Every bay in our cleanroom has an owner (process engineer) that is responsible for making sure it stays neat and tidy and does daily inspections.

*         About once a week, our part time student lab assistant vacuums the floor.

*         We tacky roll the floor occasionally.

*         I am in the process of soliciting for a clean room cleaning company to do periodic cleanings.  I am planning on every year or after any significant construction, whichever comes first. I am getting budgetary estimates ranging from $6000 to $12000 per clean for 8000sq. ft. of class 100.  It includes floor, wall and HEPA ceiling grid cleaning. Since you are relatively close, I will send you those company names as they may also service your area as well.

*         DI/IPA is all you need to clean the floor.  A scrubby will remove scuffs etc.

*         I like to be stingy with the water to avoid getting drips on all the infrastructure under the raised floor.

*         A skillful Clean Room cleaning company will also know how to safely vacuum out under the raised floors which should be done at least every few years.  They will do it over a weekend and methodically make their way around the area removing tiles for access.

*         I like the HEPA filtered Nilfisk brand vacuums.  They are quiet, powerful and have backpack and rolling versions. They are more convenient than the central vacuum which we also have, but you need to make sure the HEPA is working well.  You can't beat the central for cleanliness.  There is a time and place for both.

*         I also have our student take weekly particle counts at several areas and chart the data and plan to adjust cleaning frequency as needed.

Hope this helps.

Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager