[labnetwork] who cleans your cleanroom?

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:10:05 EST 2012

Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. Also, I wanted to mention that we monitor surface cleanliness using a Pentagon Technologies QIII Surface Particle Counter.

We have three people on the cleaning staff who work a 40-hour week. We do half during the night and half during normal working hours (we are open 24-7) - janitorial staff begin at 4:30 am and work until 1 pm with a half-hour lunch. They have two 15-minute breaks, otherwise are in the cleanroom doing the cleaning.

We clean the floors of the bays and chases twice per week and the floors of the main aisle and gowning room daily. We clean the walls of the bays and chases weekly.

We have a shutdown twice per year, and the janitorial staff does a more extensive clean - including under the raised floor - then. They do half of the sub-floor during each shutdown, so the entire floor is cleaned annually.

We use DI water only, using a microfiber moping system. We converted to that after extensive testing, and get the same results (or better) using that system with water as we did with a conventional system using IPA:water.

We don't have a central vacuum (I wish I did but couldn't afford it). We use Nilfisk portable vacuums, and have had good results with them. Be sure to buy the one with the filter DOWNSTREAM of the motor, otherwise you will throw motor-generated particles all over. A "Hospital Vac" has the filter upstream of the motor; you want a "cleanroom vac." For hazardous materials, we use a dual-filter system - one filter upstream of the motor and a second filter downstream of the filter.

Be sure to use a mop that will stand up to the sharp edges on the perf floor.

I hope that helps,
John

John R. Weaver
Facility Manager